Santa María Parish Church
The church was built at the end of the 16th Century (1560) over the remains of an earlier mosque, the works initiated by the stonemason Sebastian Segura. Converted to Christian use following the Reconquest, the building served both as a religious centre and as a defensive fortress. Standing out is the simplicity of its interior, which houses a beautiful and significant 1960s fresco, a work by an itinerant artist. The church’s altarpiece was lost during events in the Civil War. Its small collection of religious images includes those of San Agustín and Nuestra Señora del Rosario, the village’s two patron saints.
Located in a pretty corner of the Plaza del Parterre (a former Muslim cemetery) is a faithful reproduction of one of the scenes of the Reconques, which is recreated in the choir of Toledo Cathedral. This fired clay reproduction is the work of the artist Itziar Ortuzar.
OTHER INTERESTING PLACES