The Public Fountain
The fountain has twelve spouts in front and one to the side, which feed into three basins. Perpendicular to these, there are three different channels to one side, and another. Each one fulfils a separate function. The site of the fountain is mentioned in old Arab writings, it being of vital importance for the main location of the village.
In olden times, the fountain was the neurological centre of mojaquero social life due to the importance of water for livestock, agriculture and a continuous supply for human use. Throughout history it has served various purposes, and has given rise to the development of trades such as water-carrier, washerwoman or irrigation-watchman. Nearby used to be the water mill, which together with the fountain, made this an area of socio-economic importance, which in turn was the basis of an important commercial structure.
In 1488 the fountain provided the historic background for the ambassador sent by the Catholic King and Queen to pursue a peaceful surrender by Mojácar. One can observe the commemorative plaque which recalls the interview between Garcilaso de la Vega and the Moorish mayor. The fountain was completely renovated in the 19th Century and had another makeover in the 1980s. The most recent works changed the fountain’s traditional appearance for a more modern look.
Next to the fountain Is the Municipal Centre of Modern Art, which was inaugurated on 2011.